Located on the edge of Lake Pehoe, with beautiful views over the Cuernos del Paine and Paine Grande Mountain, Refugio Paine Grande is the starting or ending point of Glacier Grey and French Valley trails, as well as part of the W Circuit and Paine Massif Circuit (the ‘O’).
How to get there
- Catamaran Pudeto-Pehoe (30 min. navigation)
- Italiano-Paine Grande trail (7,6 km / 4,7 mi / Difficulty: Moderate)
- Grey-Paine Grande trail (11 km / 6,8 mi / Difficulty: Moderate)
- Las Carretas Trail: Paine Grande-Park Administration Offices (17km / 10,6 mi / Difficulty: Moderate / IMPORTANT: Las Carretas is an exit trail only, confirm with CONAF about trails conditions and updates).
Refugio Paine Grande features shared and mixed rooms with bunk beds with simple bed (you bring your own sleeping bag) or made up bed (sheets and cover included). Rooms do not feature heating system. Towels are available for an extra fee.
The refugio features communal bathrooms (separated men/women), with cold water sinks and hot water showers with push-button valves to save water (Please check showers operating schedule at the front desk).
Paine Grande features a cafeteria with a daily menu and 1 vegetarian alternative. Dinner, breakfast and lunch or box lunch are available, as well as non-alcoholic beverages, wine and beer. Throughout the day, coffee, tea, and some bakery are available. Dinner must be reserved before 17:00 hrs and box lunch must be requested when checking in.
- There are no special diet alternatives such as vegan, gluten and lactose intolerant and/ or other food allergies or restrictions.
- Please check the cafeteria opening hours at the front desk. Meals are not served off the clock.
Located on the second floor, Paine Grande´s bar offers a beautiful view over Lake Pehoe and Cuernos del Paine. Enjoy a drink, a beer or a glass of wine with your fellow hikers.
Only available for guests staying at the refugio, it features a wood-burning stove.
If you want to prepare your own meal, you will find all the supplies and ingredients to cook, such as pasta, sauce, cans as well as snacks such as chocolates, cereal bars and protein bars. In addition, there are souvenirs, handicraft and accessories such as: rain poncho, maps, lanterns and more.
Note: It is not allowed to cook inside the refugio. The Quincho (Cooking Area) located in the camping area is the only authorized area to prepare and cook your own meals.
Plugs are available in the lounge area (220 CV voltage). There is no electricity at night, in order to save energy. Check the working hours at the front desk.
This service is available for guests. Please ask for the rates at the reception.
There is no cellular phone signal within the national park. In Paine Grande you can hire Wi-Fi, you must have a PayPal account available. Ask for the rates at the front desk.
Season from September 1st, 2017 to April 30th, 2018
|Refugio||CLP w/ VAT||USD w/o VAT|
|Meals||CLP w/ VAT||USD w/o VAT|
|Lunch or Box Lunch||11.000||17|
|Special Dates||CLP w/ VAT||USD w/o VAT|
|Christmas/New Year Full Board||56.000||85|
|Christmas/New Year Dinner||37.000||55|
|Additionals||CLP w/ VAT||USD w/o VAT|
|Bed Kit, each night (sheets, pillow, blanket)||20.000||30|
|Ñandú Room for groups||Please confirm||Please confirm|
Notes & Conditions
- USD Dollars rates apply only to foreigners visiting Chile. Every passenger must show their passport and immigration card when checking-in, otherwise you will be charged the VAT difference (19% tax) at the front desk, according to Chilean Tax Law.
- All service must be booked in advance and paid 48 hrs after receiving confirmation.
- Reservation cancellations after the deadlines established, are considered 100% of expenses as well as partial reductions in the number of passengers.
- Singles: Cancellations of single reservations before 31 days from the date of check in, are free of charge. Cancellations of single bookings made 30 days or less before check-in, will be charged 100%.
- Groups (10 or more passengers): Cancellations or changes to bookings series or groups before 61 days, applies the 30% penalty paid, for cancellations 60 days or less of check in or entry, apply a fine of 100% booking value.
|Camping & Refugio|
|Breakfast||7:00 am - 9:00 am|
|Lunch||12:00 pm - 2:00 pm|
|Dinner (1)||7:00 pm - 9:00 pm|
|Energy||5:00 pm – 10:00 pm|
|Grocery Store||7:00 am - 9:00 pm|
|Quincho (Cooking Area)||8:00 am - 10:00 pm|
|Restrooms (2)||24 hrs (only the refugio)|
|Showers (With hot water)||6:00 pm - 9:00 pm|
|Central Heating||Not Available|
(1) If you haven't reserved full board meals or dinner, please reserve and pay before 4:00 p.m.
(2) Restrooms can be temporarilly closed for cleaning or maintenance. Note: Schedules can vary without prior notice, please confirm yourself on each camping or shelter.